history of church square
Church Square was constructed in classical architecture in the early 1920s by Charles E. Holman. Remaining in family ownership ever since, the property has always contained the highest-quality specialty stores and restaurants in Wellesley.
The original store in the block was E.A. Davis, started and run by Charles Holman’s sister-in-law, Emma Davis. It was located in Church Square in 1922, when the block opened. In 1975, the store was purchased by the Skolnick family, who still own and operate it today. E.A.Davis continues to run successfully today in the exact same location, providing customers with the finest clothing for almost 100 years.
Dover Saddlery opened their first store at Church Square in 1975. After its long-running success at Church Square, Dover Saddlery expanded and opened 26 other stores across the country. Today, Dover Saddlery still retains its home base at Church Square.